HomeResourcesHistory

History of the 144th Fighter Wing

History The origin of the 144th Fighter Wing dates back to 4 April 1948, barely six months after the formation of the Air National Guard in September of 1947. On that date, the 61st Fighter Wing received federal recognition at Alameda, CA, followed by activation of the 144th Fighter Group on 2 June 1948 and the 194th Fighter Squadron on 25 June 1948. The 61st Fighter Wing was redesignated as the 144th Fighter Bomber Wing on 1 November 1950. Read More

History of the ANG

Air National Guard at 60: A HISTORY

ANG: A Short Story

The Air National Guard as we know it today -- a separate reserve component of the United States Air Force -- was a product of the politics of postwar planning and interservice rivalry during World War II. The men who planned and maneuvered for an independent postwar Air Force during World War II didn't place much faith in the reserves, especially the state-dominated National Guard.

Read More....

About the ANG